Very quick to prepare, garlic bread by the slice is very handy when a whole garlic baguette isn’t needed.
Garlic Bread by the Slice
- Preparation time: About 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 4 slices Italian bread*
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 115 g (4 oz) butter, softened (½ cup, or 1 stick)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) (gas 6)
- Mix together the garlic, parsley, and butter.
- Now spread the garlic butter over one side of each slice of bread.
- Arrange on a baking tray and cover with foil.
- Bake in the oven for 10–15 minutes, removing the foil halfway through cooking.
- *For the Italian bread
- Take one loaf of Italian bread and remove the crusts from both ends. Cut into slices, about 1.25 cm (½ inch) thick. Separate the number of slices usually required for a meal by a piece of baking parchment. (This makes it easier to remove just a few slices at a time from the freezer to thaw.) Wrap the bread and freeze in a suitable container.
- When needed just thaw the required number of slices and follow the recipe above.
- We enjoy lovely home-baked bread and if you would like to bake your own, you could follow Paul’s recipe for Crusty French Bread which works just as well as the Italian bread.
Updated: September 16, 2018