Very quick to prepare, garlic bread by the slice is very handy when a whole garlic baguette isn’t needed.
Garlic Bread by the Slice
Prepares: 2 slices
- Preparation time: About 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 4 slices French bread*
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 115g (4 oz) butter, softened (½ cup, or 1 stick)
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) (gas 6)
- Combine the garlic and parsley with the butter. Now spread each slice of bread on one side with the garlic butter. Arrange on a baking tray and cover with foil.
- Bake in the oven for 10–15 minutes, removing the foil halfway through cooking.
- *To store the French bread
- Take one loaf of French bread and remove the crusts from both ends. Slice the loaf into thick slices, about 1.25cm (½ inch). Separate the number of slices usually required for a meal by a piece of baking parchment. (This makes it easier to remove just a few slices at a time from the freezer to thaw.) Wrap the bread in foil and freeze.
- When needed just thaw the required number of slices and follow the recipe above.
- We enjoy lovely home-baked bread and if you would like to bake your own French bread, you could follow Paul’s recipe for Crusty French Bread.
Updated: September 16, 2018