Butter biscuits are very quick to make and are so buttery they just melt in the mouth.
One is never enough!
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 10–12 minutes
- 225 g (8 oz) unsalted butter, softened (1 cup, or 2 sticks)
- 115 g (4 oz) caster/superfine sugar (½ cup + 1 tbsp)
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp vanilla essence/extract
- 225 g (8 oz) plain flour/all-purpose flour, sifted (1½ cups + 1 tbsp)
- You will also need 2 baking trays lined with parchment paper
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (375°F) (gas mark 5)
- Beat the butter until it is light golden in colour.
- Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the egg yolk along with the vanilla essence/extract.
- Then fold in the sifted flour until the mixture is soft and smooth.
- Place balls of the mixture, just a bit bigger than 1.5cm (½ inch) in diameter, onto the baking sheets spaced well apart. The mixture should make 32 biscuits.
- Gently press the balls with a fork to flatten a little.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes until they just begin to become lightly golden round the edges. Cool on a wire rack.