These jam oaties are soft biscuits with a dollop of raspberry jam in the centre – very yummy.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 12–15 minutes
- 115 g (4 oz) butter (½ cup, or 1 stick)
- 85 g (3 oz) light muscovado/soft light brown sugar (⅓ cup)
- 1 egg, medium (U.K.)/large (N.A.), beaten
- 85 g (3 oz) plain/all-purpose flour, sifted (⅔ cup)
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- 115 g (4 oz) porridge oats/quick cooking rolled oats (1 cup + 2 tbsp)
- about 3 tbsp raspberry jam
- You will also need two baking sheets, lightly greased.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) (gas 4).
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat until combined.
- Then fold in the flour and soda .
- Finally, fold in the oats.
- Place dessertspoonfuls of the mixture on to the baking sheets, spacing them well apart. The mixture should produce 12–14 biscuits.
- Now flour the tip of your thumb and make a small depression in the centre of each biscuit, taking care not to press down too far.
- Spoon a heaped ½ teaspoon of jam into each indentation .
- Bake for 12–15 minutes until just firm, swapping the trays over halfway through baking.
- Remove from the oven and leave on the baking sheets for 5 minutes to firm up. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.