Lots of goodies in this soft cookie. These large cookies are smothered with sultanas and have a hint of lemon in the oaty mixture too.
Oat and Sultana Cookies
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 12–15 minutes
- Standing time: 5 minutes
- 115 g (4 oz) butter, softened (½ cup, or 1 stick)
- 85 g (3 oz) light muscovado/soft light brown sugar (⅓ cup)
- 1 egg, medium (U.K.)/large (N.A.)
- 140 g (5 oz) rolled oats (1⅓ cups)
- 55 g (2 oz) self-raising/self-rising flour (½ cup)
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 85 g (3 oz) sultanas (⅓ cup)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) (gas 5).
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar using an electric hand whisk until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg until combined.
- Now, using a wooden spoon, stir in the oats, flour, baking powder, lemon zest, sultanas, and maple syrup.
- Dust a work surface with a little flour and then make 12 even-sized balls from the mixture.
- Place them on one large or two smaller baking sheets, spacing them well apart.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes until golden in colour.
- Leave to cool on the sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.