Oats and chocolate chips added to a basic cookie recipe have made these one of our favourite cookies for many years.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 10–12 minutes
- 225 g (8 oz) butter, softened (1 cup, or 2 sticks)
- 225 g (8 oz) caster/superfine sugar (1 cup + 2 tbsp)
- 2 eggs, large (U.K.)/extra large (N.A.)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence/extract
- 225 g (8 oz) plain flour/all-purpose flour (1½ cups + 1 tbsp)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda/baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 340 g (12 oz) plain chocolate chips/semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
- 85 g (3 oz) porridge oats/quick cooking rolled oats (1¼ cups)
- You will also need large baking trays/cookie sheets ungreased.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (375°F) (gas 5)
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar for 2–3 minutes until really creamy, Then beat in the eggs and the vanilla.
- Sift the flour into a separate bowl and add the soda, salt, and cinnamon. Then gradually stir into the creamed mixture until completely combined.
- Next, stir in the oats and then carefully stir in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Drop by tablespoons onto the baking trays/cookie trays, spacing well apart, and bake for 10–12 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave for 1 minute. Then, using a palette knife, place on wire racks to cool.
- You may need to bake the cookies in two batches if you don't have enough baking trays/cookie sheets to use all the mixture. Leave the trays/sheets to cool down before spooning on the remaining mixture.
Updated: October 13, 2018