A delicious soft cookie with oats and raisins that will have you coming back for more.
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
48 6.5cm/2½ inch cookies
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 170 g (6 oz) butter (¾ cup, or 1½ sticks)
- 170 g (6 oz) light muscovado sugar/soft light brown sugar (¾ cup + 2 tbsp)
- 85 g (3 oz) granulated/white sugar (⅓ cup + 1½ tbsp)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225 g (8 oz) plain/all-purpose flour (1½ cups + 1 tbsp)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- 300 g (11 oz) quick porridge oats/rolled oats (4¾ cups)
- 85 g (3 oz) raisins (½ cup + 1 tbsp)
- 3 large baking trays/cookie sheets
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) (gas 4).
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until creamy.
- Then beat in the eggs and vanilla essence/extract until the mixture is smooth.
- Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda/baking soda and fold into the mixture. Then stir in the oats and raisins until the raisins are evenly distributed. The dough will be quite stiff.
- Spoon rounded tablespoons of the dough onto the baking sheets, spaced well apart. The dough should make 4 dozen cookies. This may need to be done in two batches. Just make sure the baking trays/cookie sheets are allowed to cool before spooning the remaining batch of dough mixture onto them.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool for 1 minute on the tray and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Updated: November 4, 2017