These delicious little strawberry rings are a buttery biscuit filled with a layer of strawberry jam peeking through.
Prepares: 18 biscuits
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- For the biscuit mixture
- 115g (4 oz) butter (½ cup, or 1 stick)
- 55g (2 oz) caster sugar/white sugar (¼ cup + ½ tbsp)
- 1 egg, medium (U.K.)/large (N.A.), beaten
- ¼ tsp vanilla essence/extract
- 200g (7 oz) plain flour/cake and pastry flour (1¼ cups + 2 tbsp)
- 28g (1 oz) cornflour/cornstarch (3 tbsp)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- For the filling
- strawberry jam
- icing sugar/powdered sugar for dusting
- 7cm (2¾ in) and 4cm (1½ in) fluted cutters
- 2 large baking sheets/trays, greased
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) (gas 4).
- Beat the butter and sugar together using an electric hand mixer or food mixer. Once the mixture is creamy, gradually beat in the egg and then the vanilla essence/extract.
- Sift the remaining ingredients into the bowl and blend into the mixture using a spoon until just combined. Now gently knead by hand until a soft dough has formed.
- Take the dough and roll it out on a floured surface to 0.5cm (¼ inch) thick. Then using the large cutter, cut rounds from the dough and place them onto the baking sheets/trays. Now using the smaller cutter remove the centre of half the rounds. (Don’t try to remove the centres before placing the rounds on the sheets/trays as they will become misshapen.) Keep re-rolling the leftover dough and cutting out the rounds, making sure there are an equal number of the whole rounds and cut-out rounds. There should be enough dough to make about 18 finished biscuits.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the biscuits are just starting to brown. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Spread a thick layer of strawberry jam over the whole rounds and then place the cut rounds on top. Finish by dusting with icing sugarpowdered sugar. The sugar will melt on the jam but will remain on the biscuit. Store in an airtight container.