Carrot Sultana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Topping
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- For the cupcakes
- 140 g (5 oz) softened butter (⅔ cup)
- 1 medium orange, finely zested
- 170 g (6 oz) light muscovado/light brown soft sugar (⅔ cup)
- 140 g (5 oz) carrot, peeled and coarsely grated (1 large)
- 2 eggs, medium (U.K.)/large (N.A.), lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- 115 g (4 oz) sultanas (1 cup)
- 200 g (7 oz) plain flour/cake and pastry flour, sifted (1⅓ cups)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- For the frosting
- 400 g (14 oz) cream cheese (1¾ cups)
- 4 tbsp icing/powdered sugar
- You will also need 2 x 12 hole patty tins/bun pans filled with 15 cupcake baking cases. Also a large piping bag fitted with a medium sized nozzle.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) (gas4).
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer, whisk the butter, zest, and sugar together until light and fluffy. Next stir in the carrot, eggs, milk, and sultanas. Then mix in the flour, cinnamon, and baking powder.
- Now equally fill the cases using an ice cream scoop.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the tops are firm to the touch when lightly pressed with the tip of a finger.
- Leave to cool in the tins/pans for a couple of minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack. While the cupcakes are cooling, beat the cream cheese in a bowl until soft. Then sift in the icing/powdered sugar and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon into the piping bag and, once the cupcakes are cool, use to make a swirl on top of each cupcake.