A classic raisin bran muffin that just crumbles with goodness. Delicious served warm with a knob of butter.
Raisin Bran Muffins
Prepares: 12 muffins
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 18 minutes
- 85g (3 oz) bran (2 cups)
- 85g (3 oz) plain flour/cake and pastry flour (⅓ cup)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, large (U.K.)/extra large (N.A.)
- 115g (4 oz) soft brown sugar (½ cup + 1 tbsp)
- 55ml (2 fl oz) flavourless oil (e.g. groundnut, peanut, not olive oil) (¼ cup)
- 225ml (8 fl oz) buttermilk* (1 cup)
- 2 tbsp treacle/unsulphured molasses
- 85g (3 oz) raisins (⅔ cup)
- *If you haven’t any buttermilk, stir 2 tablespoons of lemon juice into 225ml (8 fl oz) (1 cup) full fat/whole milk and leave for 15 minutes to thicken up.
- You will also need a 12-hole muffin tray lined with paper baking cups.
- Preheat the oven to 190° (375°F) (gas 5)
- Mix together the bran, flour, soda, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, using a ballon whisk, mix the egg and sugar together.
- Then stir in the oil, buttermilk, and treacle one at a time. The mixture needs to be thoroughly combined and stirring the ingredients in separately makes this quick. You do not want to over mix.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Finally stir through the raisins until evenly distributed.
- Now fill the paper baking cups using an ice cream scoop. Bake for 18 minutes until the tops feel firm to the touch. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool.
- Delicious served warm, cut in half, with a knob of butter.
Updated: February 8, 2020