A classic simple dish of apples with a crumbly topping baked in the oven until the apple juices are bubbling and the topping is crisp. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Delicious.
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- For the apples
- 450g (1 lb) apples (3 medium)
- 70g (2½ oz) granulated/white sugar (⅓ cup)
- For the topping
- 55g (2 oz) flour, sifted (⅓ cup)
- 55g (2 oz) porridge oats/rolled oats (⅔ cup)
- 70g (2½ oz) light muscovado/soft brown sugar (⅓ cup)
- pinch salt
- 55g (2 oz) butter, melted (¼ cup, or ½ stick)
- You will also need a 2 pint ovenproof dish measuring 25 × 15cm (9 × 6 inches)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) (gas 5)
- Peel and core the apples. Slice them fairly thinly and place in a bowl with the sugar. Toss together and then spread over the base of the ovenproof dish.
- Mix together the first four ingredients of the topping. Pour the butter over the top and mix in until the mixture has become crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the apples are tender and the juices are bubbling around the edge.
- Best served with ice cream or whipped cream.