Chunky pieces of apple are baked within a sponge mixture – hence its name. Another way to enjoy cooking apples when they are at their best.
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 115g (4 oz) butter, softened, plus extra for greasing (½ cup, or 1 stick)
- 115g (4 oz) light muscovado/soft light brown sugar (½ cup less 1 tbsp)
- 1 egg, large (U.K.)/extra large (N.A.)
- 100ml (3½ fl oz) milk (⅓ cup)
- 225g (8 oz) self-raising/self rising flour (1¾ cups)
- pinch of ground cloves
- 450g (1 lb) Bramley apples (or apple variety suitable for cooking)
- You will also need a baking dish roughly 20 x 20cm (8 x 8 inches)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) (gas 4)
- First grease the baking dish.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg.
- Then mix in the milk.
- Fold in the flour and cloves.
- Now peel, core and roughly chop the apples and then fold into the mixture.
- Tip into the buttered dish, spreading the mixture out but leaving the surface quite uneven.
- Bake for 45–50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve hot with cream and extra sugar.
Updated: January 24, 2020