Individual servings of the Baked Alaska. Mini sponge flans are topped with raspberry jam and creamy ice cream, covered in a soft meringue, then quickly baked to set the meringue but leaving the ice cream frozen inside.
4 individual servings
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Freezing time: overnight
- Cooking time: 3–5 minutes
- 4 mini sponge flans
- 4 tbsp raspberry conserve
- 250 ml good quality ice-cream, raspberry, or strawberry (4 large scoops)
- 2 eggs, large (U.K.)/extra large (N.A.), whites only
- pinch of cream of tartar
- 115 g (4 oz) caster/granulated sugar (½ cup + 1 tbsp)
- 7 g (¼ oz) flaked almonds (1½ tbsp)
- Remove the ice cream from the fridge to soften a little, about 10 minutes.
- Fill each sponge flan with 1 tablespoon of conserve and level the top.
- Then, using an ice cream scoop, top with one large scoop of ice cream.
- Return to the freezer for at least one hour.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Sprinkle over the cream of tartar and whisk in the sugar, a spoonful at a time, whisking well between each addition, until the mixture is stiff and shiny.
- Now, using a palette knife to spread the meringue, completely cover the sponges and ice cream. Then drawing upwards with the tip of a knife, make little swirls with the meringue. Freeze overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F) (gas 8)
- Scatter the almonds over the meringue, then bake for 3–5 minutes until the meringue is just starting to brown.
- Serve immediately.
- The prepared Alaskas can be left frozen for up to one month. Bake in the oven as directed above but leave for 15 minutes before serving.
Updated: May 9, 2020