A delicious light dessert served in individual glass dishes. Fresh raspberries and strawberries are folded in whipped cream with crushed meringue lightly mixed in. They are decorated with cut strawberries and dusted with icing sugar.
Berry Meringue Creams
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Preparation time if making meringues: 25 minutes
- Cooking time for the meringues: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Standing time for the meringues: 2 hours
- 340g (12 oz) strawberries (1 pint)
- 2 tbsp caster sugar/white sugar
- 300ml/10 fl oz double cream/whipping cream (1¼ cups)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 meringue shells*
- 140g (5 oz) raspberries
- icing/powdered sugar to decorate
- *This dish is a great way to use up any left over meringue. However, if making the meringues especially for this dish, follow the recipe below and prepare these first.
- For the meringue
- 2 eggs, large (U.K.)/extra large (N.A.), whites only
- 115g (4 oz) caster/white sugar (½ cup plus 1 tbsp)
- 4 x glass dessert dishes
- For the meringues
- Preheat oven to cool, 140°C (275°F) (mark 1)
- Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff. Gradually whisk in the sugar a spoonful at a time, whisking well between each addition until stiff and glossy.
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Dab a little meringue on each corner of the baking sheet first to keep the lining in place.
- Spoon 6 mounds of meringue onto the baking parchment. Bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes until the meringues will lift from the paper easily. Turn off the oven but leave the meringues in the oven for a further 2 hours. This will allow the meringues to completely dry out. (You will only need four of the meringue shells for this recipe.)
- For the Berry Meringue Creams
- Wash, pat dry and hull strawberries. Reserve a quarter and set aside. Quarter the rest and place in a small bowl, then gently mix in 4 teaspoons of the sugar and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Pour the cream into a bowl and add the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar and vanilla. Whisk until the cream holds a soft peak.
- Carefully break 4 of the meringue shells into small pieces and mix into the cream. Fold in the raspberries and strawberries, including any of their juice, being careful not to over mix.
- Divide between the four dishes. Top with the reserved strawberries, cutting any into halves or quarters if they are too large.
- Dust a little icing sugar over top just before serving.
- They can be refrigerated for up to two hours, leaving the icing sugar to be dusted over until just before serving.
Updated: July 19, 2017