The apples in this cobbler bring a softness to the mix of fruit and the addition of the port gives it a fullness of flavour. As well, the sprinkling of demerara sugar over the balls of dough creates a crunch as it bakes in oven.
Crunchy Plum and Apple Cobbler with Port
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 30–35 minutes
- 400 g (14 oz) Victoria plums/prune plums (about 7)
- 2 dessert apples
- 3 tbsp demerara sugar
- 2 tbsp port
- 170 g (6 oz) self-raising/self-rising flour (1⅓ cups)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 55 g (2 oz) butter, diced (¼ cup, or ½ stick)
- 70 g (2½ oz) caster/superfine sugar (3 tbsp)
- pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp natural yogurt
- You will also need a 1½ litre (6 cup) baking dish.
- Heat the oven to 190°C (375°F) (gas 5).
- Wash, halve, and stone the plums and place in a bowl. Peel the apples, core and thinly slice and add to the bowl.
- Sprinkle over the demerara sugar and toss to coat. Then add the port and stir to mix. Spoon into the baking dish and put to one side.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Now rub in the butter to form breadcrumbs. Then stir through the caster/superfine sugar and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg and yogurt. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and then pour in the egg and yogurt mixture. Bring the mixtures together to form a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Shape into small balls (about 16) and drop over the fruit. Then sprinkle with the remaining demerara sugar.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes until the cobbler has risen and is golden.
- Serve with double cream/whipping or heavy cream.