A very refreshing summer trifle with fresh raspberries and strawberries, that is very quick and easy to prepare.
Easy Summer Trifle
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Standing time: about 15 minutes
- 1 pkt. sponge fingers, lady fingers or trifle sponges
- 4 tbsp raspberry conserve
- 115g (4 oz) strawberries (about ⅓ of a pint container)
- 115g (4 oz) raspberries
- 2 tbsp sherry
- 240ml (8 fl oz) Bird’s custard (1 cup)
- 120ml (4 fl oz) double cream/whipping cream (½ cup)
- 4 glass dessert dishes
- Break enough of the sponges to fit the base of each dish.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of raspberry conserve on top of the sponge and level.
- Reserve 4 raspberries and 4 strawberries for decoration. Equally divide the rest of the fruit between the four dishes, cutting the strawberries in half.
- Now sprinkle ½ tablespoon of sherry over the fruit in each dish and leave while preparing the custard so the sherry can be absorbed by the fruit and sponge. At this stage it can be left for up to an hour.
- Make up 1 cup of Bird’s custard according to the packet. Pour into a small jug and cover the custard with clingfilm so it does not form a skin. Leave until just cold. (I usually like to make my custard from scratch but, hey, this is supposed to be an easy, summer recipe! You could even buy a carton of ready-made custard.)
- Divide the custard between the four dishes.
- Whip up the cream until soft peaks form and put a dollop on top of the custard.
- Half the reserved strawberries and decorate each dish with two strawberry halves and a raspberry.