Eton Mess – a mix of strawberry halves, soft whipped cream and crushed meringue.
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time:
- 15 minutes plus 30 minutes standing time, if using ready-made meringues
- 25 minutes plus 20 minutes standing time, if making the meringues as well
- Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes (only if making the meringues)
- 450g (1 lb) strawberries (about 4 cups)
- 1 tbsp caster sugar/white sugar
- 1 tbsp Grand Marnier (optional)
- 6 small meringues*
- 284ml carton double cream/whipping cream
- * This dish is a great way to use up any leftover meringue. However, if making the meringues especially for this dish, follow the recipe below and prepare them first.
- For the meringues
- 2 eggs, large (U.K.)/extra large (N.A.), whites only
- 115g (4 oz) caster sugar/white sugar (1 cup + 1 tbsp)
- 4 glass dessert dishes
- For the meringues
- Preheat oven to cool, 140°C (275°F) (gas mark 1)
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Gradually whisk in the sugar a spoonful at a time, whisking well between each addition, until stiff and glossy.
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Dab a little meringue on each corner of the baking sheet first to keep the lining in place.
- Spoon six mounds of meringue onto the baking paper. Bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes. The meringues should now lift easily from the paper. Leave to cool.
- For the Eton Mess
- Wash, hull and halve the strawberries. Place in a large bowl, sprinkle over the sugar and drizzle with the Grand Marnier if using. Mix gently and leave for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, break the meringues into bite-sized pieces.
- Whip the cream until it just forms soft peaks. It should still fall from a spoon.
- Put 20 strawberry halves and about a quarter of the broken meringues to one side for decoration.
- Now gently mix the cream into the strawberries in the large bowl and add the remaining meringue pieces. Divide between the glass dishes and top each dish with an equal quantity of the reserved strawberry halves and meringue.
- Serve immediately.
Updated: June 25, 2017