How about a refreshing dessert after all that rich Christmas fare? A Fresh Fruit Salad just fits the bill.
Fresh fruit salad is always a good standby for a quick dessert. A selection of fruits in season are mixed in a lemon syrup. Wine or liqueur can also be added to enhance the flavour further.
Fresh Fruit Salad
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: About 20 minutes
- Standing time: 2–3 hours
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Example of ingredients for a winter fruit salad
- 115g (4 oz) sugar (½ cup)
- ½ lemon, juice only
- A selection of 4–5 fruits
- 2 small or 1 large red skinned apple
- 1 large orange
- 1 banana
- 115g (4 oz) seedless grapes (1 cup)
- 1 small tin/can pineapple slices or fresh pineapple
- (or any other seasonal fruits)
- You will also need a glass serving bowl.
- Dissolve the sugar in 300ml (10 fl oz ) (1¼ cups) water over a gentle heat. Then bring to the boil and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Now stir in the lemon juice and pour into the glass bowl.
- Next prepare the fruits and put them into the syrup as you go. Quarter, core and thinly slice the apples. Peel the oranges, making sure all the pith is removed. Break into its segments and then cut each one into three. Slice the banana. Halve the grapes. Take four pineapple slices, halve each one and then cut into three. Mix them in the syrup, coating all the fruit.
- Let the fruit salad stand for 2–3 hours to allow the flavours to blend.
- A tipsy fruit salad
- Replace the lemon juice with 15–30ml (1–2 tbsp) of any fruit liqueur or white wine.
- A summer fruit salad
- Combine summer fruits, for example, strawberries, raspberries, cherries with dessert pears and melon.
Updated: January 7, 2019