These individual pavlovas are a mix of vanilla and chocolate meringue which is then covered in whipped cream, topped with fresh raspberries and dusted with cocoa.
Individual Chocolate and Raspberry Pavlovas
Prepares: 4 pavlovas
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 2 eggs, large (U.K.)/extra large (N.A.), whites only
- 115g (4 oz) caster sugar/white sugar (½ cup + 1 tbsp)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 7g (/¼ oz) cocoa powder (1 tbsp)
- 150ml (5 fl oz) double/whipping or heavy cream (⅔ cup)
- 14g (½ oz) icing/powdered sugar (1½ tbsp)
- 115g (4 oz) raspberries (1 cup)
- large baking sheet/tray lined with baking parchment
- Preheat the oven to 140°C (275°F) gas 1.
- Whisk the egg whites until firm peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, one spoonful at a time, whisking well after each addition, until stiff. Add the vanilla and continue whisking until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Using a metal spoon, spoon a third of the meringue into another bowl and sift over 2 teaspoons of the cocoa powder. Gently fold the cocoa into the meringue.
- Spoon the cocoa meringue over the white meringue and then, using the metal spoon, fold together once to create a rippled effect.
- Put a little dab of meringue on the four corners of the baking sheet/tray and top with the baking parchment. (This will help the lining stay in place.) Spoon the meringue into four mounds on the baking parchment and bake for 1 hour and fifteen minutes, until the meringue is crisp on the outside and peels away easily from the parchment. Cool on a wire rack.
- Divide the meringues between four serving dishes. Then whisk the cream and icing sugar together until soft peaks form and spoon over the meringues. Top with the raspberries and then dust with the reserved cocoa powder using a small sieve.
Updated: September 8, 2017