These individual pavlovas are a mix of vanilla and chocolate meringue which is then covered in whipped cream, topped with fresh raspberries and dusted with cocoa.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 eggs large (U.K.)/extra large (N.A.), whites only
- 115 g 4 oz caster/white sugar (½ cup + 1 tbsp)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 7 g ¼ oz cocoa powder (1 tbsp)
- 150 ml 5 fl oz double/whipping or heavy cream (⅔ cup)
- 14 g ½ oz icing/powdered sugar (1½ tbsp)
- 115 g 4 oz raspberries (1 cup)
- You will also need a large baking sheet/tray lined with baking parchment.
- Preheat the oven to 140°C (275°F) (gas 1).
- Whisk the egg whites until firm peaks form. Then gradually add the sugar, one spoonful at a time, whisking well after each addition until stiff. Add the vanilla and continue whisking until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Using a metal spoon, spoon a third of the meringue into another bowl and sift over 2 teaspoons of the cocoa powder. Gently fold the cocoa into the meringue.
- Spoon the cocoa meringue over the white meringue and then, using the metal spoon, fold together once to create a rippled effect.
- Now put a little dab of meringue on the four corners of the baking sheet/tray and top with the baking parchment. (This will help the lining stay in place.) Spoon the meringue into four mounds on the baking parchment and bake for 1 hour and fifteen minutes, until the meringue is crisp on the outside and peels away easily from the parchment. Cool on a wire rack.
- Whisk the cream and icing sugar together until soft peaks form and spoon over the meringues. Top with the raspberries and then dust with the reserved cocoa powder using a small sieve.
Updated: July 23, 2018