Choose some dark, juicy plums and cook them with a little brown sugar and a hint of cinnamon. Then bake with an oat and walnut topping for a crunchy crumble.
Oats and Walnut Plum Crumble
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 450g (1 lb) plums, halved and stoned
- 55g (2 oz) light muscavado/light soft brown sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 40g (1½ oz) plain/all-purpose flour (⅓ cup)
- 40g(1½ oz) wholemeal/whole wheat flour (¼ cup)
- 55g (2 oz) butter, cubed (¼ cup, or ½ stick)
- 28g (1 oz) walnuts, chopped (¼ cup)
- 28g (1 oz) jumbo porridge oats/large flaked oats (⅓ cup)
- You will also need an ovenproof dish.
- To serve
- Cream or ice cream.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) (gas 6).
- Put the plums into a pan with 1 tablespoon water, 14g (½ oz) sugar, and the cinnamon. Simmer gently for 5 minutes, until softened but still holding their shape.
- Tip the fruit into the dish and put to one side.
- Sift both flours into a large mixing bowl, adding the bran that is left in the sieve.
- Rub in the butter.
- Now stir through the remaining sugar, walnuts, and porridge oats.
- Sprinkle evenly over the fruit.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes until the fruit is bubbling and soft, and the top is golden.