I always think oranges are at their best during the winter months and this simple recipe of sliced oranges laced with Cointreau and topped with a dollop of cream makes it just that little bit special.
Oranges in Cointreau
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Refrigeration time: At least 6 hours or overnight
- 4 juicy oranges
- 3 tbsp Cointreau
- 170ml (6 fl oz) double cream/whipping or heavy cream (¾ cup)
- 1 tsp icing/powdered sugar, sifted
- Grate zest from 1 orange and set aside.
- Cut off the top and bottom from the oranges. Remove all the peel and white pith.
- Now cut the flesh into thin rounds, reserving any juice.
- Either put the oranges in one large glass serving bowl or divide amongst four individual ones and then pour over the reserved juice.
- Add 2 tbsp of the Cointreau evenly over the oranges.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Whip the cream until it is just thick. Then whip in the remaining Cointreau, three-quarters of the orange zest and the icing/powdered sugar.
- For those oranges in individual bowls, swirl a dollop of cream on the top. For the oranges in the larger bowl serve the cream as an aside.
- Scatter the remaining orange zest over the cream.
Updated: February 11, 2020