Crème de cassis lifts this ice cream dessert from being just ordinary. A raspberry and cassis purée is used to ripple the ice cream and warmed to pour over as a sauce.
Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream for Grown-ups
- Preparation time: About 15 minutes
- Refrigeration time: 2 hours
- 12 large scoops soft-scoop vanilla ice cream
- For the sauce
- 300 g (10 oz) frozen raspberries, thawed (1¼ cups)
- 28 g (1 oz) caster sugar/superfine sugar (2 tbsp)
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp crème de cassis
- You will also need a freezer-proof container that will take the ice cream and 4 glass dishes.
- First remove the ice cream from the freezer to soften it up a little.
- Now to prepare the sauce, purée the raspberries, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and crème de cassis.
- Sieve the purée to remove the raspberry seeds.
- Then put half the sauce to one side, which will be used when serving the ice cream.
- Spoon 6 generous scoops of ice cream over the base of a freezer container and drizzle over half the remaining sauce.
- Spoon 6 further scoops on top to make a second layer.
- Drizzle over the rest of the sauce.
- Make a few strokes through the ice cream with a knife. This will allow the sauce to run through and make a marbled effect. Cover and freeze for 2 hours.
- To serve
- Warm the reserved sauce.
- Now scoop the ice cream into the glass dishes and then pour over the warm sauce.
- Serve immediately.
Updated: December 9, 2018