Not sure what to put on your sponge pudding? Just reach for a pot of jam – any flavour will work. We love this pudding with raspberry jam which is shown here.
Steamed Jam Sponge Pudding
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Basic Recipe
- 50g/2 oz butter
- 50g/2 oz caster sugar/fine white sugar
- 110g/4 oz self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 egg, large(U.K.)/extra large (N.A.), beaten
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp jam (raspberry works well)
- 500ml/1 pint pudding basin
- Cream the butter and sugar. Gently add the flour, alternately with egg and milk. The mixture should drop gently from a spoon.
- Alternatively, use a food mixer but add ½ tsp baking powder.
- Grease the pudding basin, spoon the jam into the bottom and level it. Then add the mixture. Take a piece of foil that will cover the top of the basin and come halfway down the sides. Make a pleat through the middle to allow for any expansion. Place over the basin and pinch under rim. Take a length of string. It needs to go round the basin under the rim and secured tightly, then a loose length to make a handle. This will make removing the basin at the end easy.
- Fill the saucepan with about two inches of water and bring to the boil. Place the basin in the steamer, cover with the lid, and turn the heat down to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- If you don’t have a steamer, use a deep sided saucepan. Prepare the basin in the same way and place in the saucepan. Carefully pour boiling water into the saucepan so it comes no more than half way up the basin. Cover and let the water simmer for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Remove the basin, take off the string and foil and run a palette knife round the inside. Invert it on to a plate and serve with extra jam.
- To make a pudding for 2
- Use 1½ oz butter, 1½ oz sugar, 3 oz flour, 1 egg and ½ tbsp milk.
- You will need a ¾ pint pudding basin.
- To make a pudding for 6
- Use 3 oz butter, 3 oz sugar, 6 oz flour, 2 medium eggs and ½ tbsp milk.
- You will need a 1½ pint pudding basin.