This strawberry tart recipe makes a super delicious summer tart. The sweet pastry is filled with a creamy crème pâtissière and decorated with small, whole strawberries which are then glazed. Just slice and enjoy.
- Preparation time: 1 hour
- Chilling time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 28 minutes
- For the pastry
- 170 g (6 oz) plain flour/cake and pastry flour (1⅓ cups)
- 115 g (4 oz) unsalted butter, chilled and cubed (½ cup, or 1 stick)
- 40 g (1½ oz) caster/superfine sugar (3 tbsp)
- 1 egg, medium (U.K.)/large (N.A.)
- For the crème pâtissière
- 70 g (2½ oz) caster/superfine sugar (5 tbsp)
- 2 eggs, medium (U.K.)/large (N.A.), yolks only
- 28 g (1 oz) cornflour/cornstarch (¼ cup)
- 240 ml (8 fl oz) semi-skimmed/2% partly skimmed milk (1 cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 180 ml (6 fl oz) double cream/whipping cream or heavy cream (¾ cup)
- For the topping
- 450 g (16 oz) strawberries (ideally the same size) (about 3 cups)
- 85 g (3 oz) strawberry jam, sieved (¼ cup)
- You will also need a 23 cm (9 inch) round springform tin/pan.
- Whiz flour and butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, or rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips.
- Add the sugar and stir to combine.
- Now separate the egg and reserve the white for later.
- Add the yolk and 1 tablespoon of very cold water to the crumb mixture and either pulse or stir with a palette knife to bring the pastry together. Shape into a disc, wrap in clingfilm/plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Now make the crème pâtissière.
- Mix the sugar, yolks and cornflour/cornstarch in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Heat the milk and vanilla extract until just boiling. Then gradually whisk the milk into the egg mixture. Return this to the pan and, whisking continuously, let it gently bubble until the mixture has thickened.
Now spoon into a large bowl, cover, and leave to cool and chill.
- Once the pastry has rested, roll out on a lightly floured surface.
- Line the tin/pan, allowing the pastry to come about 3 cm (1¼ inches) up the sides. Trim to neaten. Prick the base all over with the tines of a fork then chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) (gas 5).
- Line the pastry and fill with baking beans. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush the inside of the pastry with the reserved egg white. Return to the oven for 3 more minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin/pan and then remove and transfer to a serving plate.
- No more than 2 hours before serving, whip the cream until stiff.
- Next whip the crème pâtissière to loosen it a little and then fold in the whipped cream.
- Spoon into the pastry case. Level the surface and chill for 30 minutes until set.
- Meanwhile, wash, pat dry, and hull the strawberries. Arrange on top of the crème pâtissière. (If not serving straight away, chill until needed.)
- Just before serving, brush the strawberries with the jam to glaze.