This is a lasagne recipe that I stumbled across many years ago and that has always been a great family favourite. The dish has three layers of pasta, a meaty tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheese, topped with Parmesan.
Prepares: 8 servings
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Standing time: 10 minutes
- 9 lasagne sheets
- 450g (1 lb) mince/ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 x 400g tins or 1 x 796ml can Italian chopped/diced tomatoes
- 156ml (5½ fl oz) tin tomato paste (⅔ cup)
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 450g (1 lb) mozzarella cheese, grated/shredded* (4 cups)
- 28g (1 oz) Parmesan cheese, finely grated/shredded (¼ cup)
- For this recipe you will need a deep sided frying pan/skillet or sauté pan.
- Also a 32.5 x 22.5 x 5 cm (13 x 9 x 2 inch) ovenproof dish.
- *In the UK the prepackaged grated mozzarella cheese contains only cheese and anti-caking ingredients. In Canada it has more additives, so I buy the block mozzarella and grate it myself. Just pop it in the freezer for ten minutes before grating to firm it up.
- To serve
- A Caesar salad can be served as an accompaniment.
- Brown the meat in the frying pan/skillet over a medium heat, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat, add the onion and garlic, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, ⅔ cup water, and seasoning. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) (gas 4)
- Many brands of lasagne pasta require no pre-cooking but I have found they benefit from cooking for a short time anyway. A baked lasagne using uncooked pasta isn’t as moist.
- So, bring a large pan of water to the boil and add a glug of olive oil. Drop 5 of the lasagne sheets into the water one at a time (crossing each one over the other) and boil for 4 minutes. They need to be cooked in two batches or they will stick together while cooking. Remove the sheets with a pair of tongs and rinse under cold water, then lay the sheets separately on a clean tea-towel. Repeat with the remaining four sheets.
- To layer up the lasagne. First, spread a thin layer of the meat sauce in the bottom of the lasagne pan. Then layer 3 lasagne sheets, a third of the remaining meat sauce, and a third of the mozzarella cheese on top. Repeat layering the pasta, meat sauce, and cheese twice more. Finally sprinkle the Parmesan over the top.
- Bake, covered with foil, in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Let it stand for 10 minutes before serving into portions.
Updated: May 3, 2018