A simple fish dish, cooked on a bed of rice with buttery garlic and onion sautéed breadcrumbs.
Baked Fish with Tomatoes and Tasty Breadcrumbs
Prepares: 4 servings (picture shows 2)
- Preparation time: 35–45 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes (oven)
- ¾ cup rice
- 4 x 140g (5 oz) white fish fillets, skinned (e.g. haddock)
- fresh or dried thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- 60ml (2 fl oz) white wine (¼ cup)
- 4 small tomatoes
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 55g (2 oz) butter (¼ cup, or ½ stick)
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (about 2 slices of bread)
- 7g (¼ oz) fresh parsley, finely chopped (should yield about ¼ cup)
- ½ lemon
- To serve
- Seasonal vegetables
- You will also need an ovenproof dish, greased. It should be large enough to lay the fish in a single layer.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4.
- Bring rice to the boil in 360ml (12 fl oz) (1½ cups) lightly salted water. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. For brown rice simmer for 15 minutes and for white rice simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin from the tomatoes by putting them in a bowl, covering with boiling water and then leaving for one minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and gently peel away the skin. (It should come away very easily.) Set aside.
- Once the rice has finished simmering for the appropriate time, spread the rice and the remaining water from the pan over the base of the ovenproof dish. (It will not be fully cooked at this point.)
- Lay the fish over the rice in a single layer. Then pour over the wine and lightly season with thyme and pepper.
- Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top.
- Next melt the butter in a frying pan/skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook over a low heat until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the breadcrumbs and parsley.
- Now scatter the crumb mixture over the tomatoes.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for a further 10 minutes until the fish is cooked through and the topping is crisp and golden.
- Cut the lemon into four slices and use to garnish.
Updated: October 7, 2019