This bolognese is loaded with wholesome ingredients. The beef and bacon are cooked in a sauce of tomatoes, chopped onions, diced carrots and celery, garlic, herbs and red wine.
Beef and Bacon Bolognese
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 30–35 minutes
- Cooking time: 55 minutes hob
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 115g (4 oz) smoked bacon rashers, chopped (about 4 rashers)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes (½ x 28 fl oz can diced tomatoes)
- 150ml (5 fl oz) beef stock (⅔ cup)
- 150ml (5 fl oz) red wine (⅔ cup)
- 4 tbsp tomato purée/tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs (basil, marjoram and oregano)
- salt and pepper
- 340g (12 oz) lean mince beef/ground beef
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 115g (4 oz) mushrooms, rinsed and sliced (6 button mushrooms)
- To serve
- serve with fettuccine
- Large frying pan/skillet
- A deep sided frying pan or sauté pan
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan/skillet over a medium heat. When hot, add the onion, carrot, celery, bacon and garlic Stir to coat in the oil and then cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes, stock, wine, tomato purée/tomato paste, bay leaf, herbs and seasoning. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a deep frying pan or sauté pan, over a medium heat and, when hot, add the beef with the pepper. Fry for about 5 minutes to brown the meat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Stir in the sauce, bring everything to the boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve with fettuccini.
Updated March 29, 2017