Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 40 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 55 minutes
- 675g (1½ lb) stewing steak, cut into 2.5cm (1 inch cubes)
- 3 tbsp seasoned flour
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp tomato purée/paste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 55g (2 oz) flour (⅓ cup + 1 tbsp)
- 600ml (20 fl oz) beef stock (2½ cups)
- 2 large tomatoes, skinned and quartered
- bouquet garni*
- 150ml (5 fl oz) beer (⅔ cup)
- *In Canada these little bags of bouquet garni aren’t available so I make my own. A simple bouquet garni consists of a sprig each of parsley and thyme, a bay leaf, 2 cloves, and a few peppercorns, tied together in muslin to form a sack.
- To serve
- egg noodles
- You will also need a deep sided large sauté pan. A stove-top to oven pan is ideal, otherwise you will also need a large casserole dish.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) (gas 3)
- Tip 3 tablespoons flour into a plastic storage bag and season. Shake bag to mix. Add the meat to the bag and shake again to coat the meat with the flour. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan over a medium-low heat and gently cook the onions and pepper for 5 minutes to soften, stirring occasionally. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and increase the heat to medium. Add the beef cubes and lightly brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir through the paprika. Cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the tomato purée/paste, seasoning, flour, and a little grated nutmeg. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the stock, stirring until well blended. Increase the heat to medium and cook the sauce until it is smooth and thick.
- Remove from the heat. Return the onions and peppers to the pan. Then stir through the tomatoes and add the bouquet garni.
- Cover and cook the goulash in the oven for 1¾ hours.
- Stir in the beer and return the pan to the oven, covered, and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve over egg noodles.
Updated: April 14, 2018