This chicken and mixed cheese bake is made with bite-sized pieces of chicken, strips of bacon and mushrooms, sautéed and then baked in a mixed cheese sauce with a grated Parmesan and breadcrumb topping. A very simple dish that tastes really good.
Chicken and Mixed Cheese Bake
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 35 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 115g (4 oz) streaky bacon/side bacon – 4 rashers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned
- 115g (4 oz) button mushrooms (about 6)
- 1 x 350g tub fresh three cheese sauce, OR
- 1 x 410g jar four-cheese pasta sauce
- 1 rounded tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 rounded tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To serve
- You will also need a large gratin dish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) (gas 6).
- Cut the bacon into thin strips. Then heat the oil in a frying pan/skillet and add the bacon. Cook over a medium heat until the bacon starts to crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Next, cut the chicken into bite-size pieces and put in the pan in a single layer. Brown all over, adding a little extra olive oil if needed. This may need to be done 2 batches. Remove from the pan and set aside with the bacon.
- Then put the mushrooms in the pan and sauté over a low heat for 2 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Finally, pour in the sauce and heat through.
- Return the chicken and bacon to the pan and stir to coat with the sauce. Season and transfer to a gratin dish.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese and scatter over the chicken mixture.
- Bake near the top of the oven for 20 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden and the sauce is bubbling.
- Serve with tagliatelle.
Updated: March 22, 2018