Prosciutto, slices of Gruyère, and fresh sage leaves are enveloped in chicken breasts, then cooked in Marsala wine. A really quick dish to prepare that is irresistible.
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 85g (3 oz) Gruyère cheese, thinly sliced
- 12 fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 28g (1 oz) butter (2 tbsp, or ¼ stick)
- 120ml (4 fl oz) Marsala (½ cup)
- To serve
- Mashed potato or polenta go well with this dish to help soak up the delicious sauce.
- Using a rolling pin, first flatten each piece of chicken between two sheets of cling film/wrap. Then pat dry and season.
- Now lay a slice of prosciutto on each chicken breast, cover with the Gruyère and scatter over the sage leaves. Fold in half lengthways and coat in the flour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan/skillet and cook the chicken over a medium heat for 2–3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Now add the Marsala, cover the pan and gently simmer for about 5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and keep warm in the oven.
- Increase the heat and reduce the liquid by half.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.