These meringues are flavoured with coffee and, when cooked, a little melted chocolate is drizzled over. Serve on their own or with whipped cream or ice cream. Whatever you choose, they just melt in your mouth.
Coffee Meringues Drizzled with Chocolate
Prepares: 8 meringues
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Standing time: about 10 minutes
- Chilling time: about 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules or coffee extract
- 3 eggs, large (U.K.)/extra large (N.A.), whites only
- 170g (6 oz) caster/superfine sugar (¾ cup + 1 tbsp)
- 85g (3 oz) dark chocolate
- You will also need 2 medium baking sheets/trays lined with baking parchment
- Preheat the oven to 140°C (275°F) (gas 1).
- If using coffee granules, dissolve in 1 teaspoon of hot water and set aside to cool.
- Put the egg whites in a large bowl and whisk until just stiff. Now gradually add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly until the mixture becomes very thick and glossy. Then sprinkle over the coffee and whisk until it has thoroughly mixed in.
- Dab a little meringue on the corners of the baking sheets/trays which will prevent the parchment paper from slipping. Then line each sheet/tray, pressing the baking parchment down at the corners. Spoon 4 mounds of meringue onto each baking sheet/tray, spacing them well apart. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. The meringues should feel hard to the touch and lift off the parchment paper easily. Leave to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile break the chocolate into small pieces, put in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of just simmering water, making sure the bowl does not touch the water. Stir the chocolate until melted and smooth, then remove from the heat and leave until it has become cold.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the meringues and then refrigerate for about 15 minutes to allow the chocolate to set.
Updated: March 27, 2019