These meringues are flavoured with coffee and, when cooked, a little melted chocolate is drizzled over. Serve on their own or with whipped cream or ice cream. Whatever you choose, they just melt in your mouth.
Coffee Meringues Drizzled with Chocolate
Prepares: 8 meringues
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour
- Standing time: 20 minutes
- 2 tsp instant coffee granules or coffee essence
- 4 eggs, medium (U.K.)/large (N.A.), whites only
- 225g/8 oz caster sugar/fine white sugar
- 85g/3 oz dark chocolate
- 2 medium baking sheets
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/275°F/gas mark 1.
- If using coffee granules, dissolve in a ½ teaspoon of hot water and set aside to cool.
- Put the egg whites in a large bowl and whisk until just stiff. Gradually add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly until the mixture becomes very thick and glossy. Then whisk in the coffee.
- Dab a little meringue on the corners of the baking sheets (this will prevent the parchment paper from slipping).Then line each sheet with baking parchment pressing down at the corners. Spoon 4 mounds of meringue on each baking sheet, spacing well apart. Bake for 1 hour. The meringues should feel hard to the touch and lift off the parchment paper easily. Leave to cool completely.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces, put in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of just simmering water. Make sure the bowl does not touch the water. Stir the chocolate until melted and smooth, then remove from the heat and leave until the chocolate has cooled. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the meringues and leave to set for at least 15 minutes before serving.