These meringues are flavoured with coffee and, when cooked, a little melted chocolate is drizzled over. Serve on their own or with whipped cream or ice cream. Whatever you choose, they just melt in your mouth.
Coffee Meringues Drizzled with Chocolate
Prepares: 8 meringues
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Chilling time: about 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules or coffee extract
- 3 eggs, large (U.K.)/extra large (N.A.), whites only
- 170g (6 oz) caster/superfine sugar (¾ cup + 1 tbsp)
- 85g (3 oz) dark chocolate
- You will also need 2 medium baking sheets/trays lined with baking parchment
- Preheat the oven to 140°C (275°F) (gas 1).
- If using coffee granules, dissolve in 1 teaspoon of hot water and leave to cool.
- Put the egg whites in a large bowl and whisk until just stiff. Now gradually add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly until the mixture becomes very thick and glossy. Then sprinkle over the coffee and whisk until it has thoroughly mixed in.
- Dab a little meringue on the corners of the baking sheets/trays which will prevent the parchment paper from slipping. Then line each sheet/tray, pressing the baking parchment down at the corners. Spoon 4 mounds of meringue onto each baking sheet/tray, spacing them well apart. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. The meringues should feel hard to the touch and lift off the parchment paper easily.
- If you like your meringues crisp on the outside but chewy in the centre, then remove from the oven and leave to cool completely on a cooling rack. If you prefer them crisp all the way through, then leave in the oven until it has become cold.
- Meanwhile break the chocolate into small pieces, put in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of just simmering water, making sure the bowl does not touch the water. Stir the chocolate until melted and smooth, then remove from the heat and leave until it has become cold.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the meringues. Leave in a cool place for the chocolate to set.
Updated: November 16, 2019