This is a one dish recipe. It has a creamy noodle base where diced ham, red pepper and peas have been added, then topped with a cheesy breadcrumb crust.
Creamy Baked Noodles Romanoff
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 700ml (24 fl oz) good chicken stock (3 cups)
- 170g (6 oz) medium egg noodles
- 375g cottage cheese
- 1 250ml container of sour cream
- ¾ tbsp cornflour/cornstarch
- 2 tsp freshly chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 225g (8 oz) ham, diced (1½ cups)
- 170g (6 oz) frozen peas (1¼ cups)
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 28g (1 oz) fresh breadcrumbs (½ cup)
- 28g (1 oz) Parmesan, grated (¼ cup)
- You will also need a 2.0 litre (8 cup) casserole.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) (gas 4)
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large pan and add the noodles. Cook until tender according to the time recommended on the packet. Once they are tender remove from the heat but do not drain. Then leave to cool a little.
- This a good time to chop the basil, crush the garlic, dice the ham and red pepper.
- Next add the cottage cheese, sour cream, and cornflour/cornstarch to the noodles and stir. Then add the basil and garlic.
- Now add the ham, peas, and red pepper.
- Spoon into the casserole dish.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and cheese together and then sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. The top will be crispy and golden.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Updated January 12, 2019