This fish pie is made with mouthwatering white fish and prawns/shrimp with broccoli in a cheesy sauce topped with sweet potato sprinkled with cheese.
Fisherman's Pie with Broccoli and Sweet Potato
- Preparation time: About 35 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 1 kg (2 lb 4 oz) sweet potatoes
- 500 ml (16 fl oz) milk (2 cups)
- 40 g (1½ oz) flour (3 tbsp)
- 40 g (1½ oz) butter (2 tbsp)
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- small broccoli head
- 225 g (8 oz) Cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)
- 700 g (1 lb 8 oz) cod or haddock, skinned and cubed
- 170 g (6 oz) cooked tiger prawns/shrimp
- knob of butter
- 3 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- Serve with sugar snap peas/mange tout or peas
- For this recipe you'll need a 1.2 litre (2 pint) shallow ovenproof dish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) (gas 6)
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into even sized pieces. Simmer in lightly salted water until just tender, about 15 minutes. Then drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile cut the florets from the head of broccoli into small pieces. You will need 170g (6 oz) of the florets (1½ cups).
- Next, pour the milk in a pan and add the flour and butter. Whisk continuously over a moderate heat until the sauce begins to boil and has thickened. Remove from the heat, season. and stir in 115g (4 oz) (1 cup) of the grated cheese. Beat until the cheese has melted.
- Spoon a thin layer of the sauce over the base of the ovenproof dish. Layer the cubes of fish over the sauce and scatter over the prawns/shrimp and broccoli florets. Then pour over the remaining sauce.
- Mash the sweet potato with the butter and stir in the parsley. Season well. Spoon on top of the fish and then sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30–35 minutes until the top is golden and the sauce is bubbling.
- Serve with the sugar snap peas/mange tout or peas.
Updated: March 13, 2018