This chicken dish just takes 20 minutes to cook – one to choose when time is short. The chicken breasts, chunky potatoes and garlic are sautéed in olive oil and butter until crisp and then covered in a white wine sauce.
Garlic Chicken and Crispy Potatoes
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: About 20 minutes
- 900g (2 lb) potatoes (6 medium)
- 55g (2 oz) butter (¼ cup, or ½ stick)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 300ml (10 fl oz) good chicken stock (1¼ cups)
- 300ml (10 fl oz) white wine (1¼ cups)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 × large sauté pans or skillets
- a medium sized serving dish
- Preheat the oven to a low heat and put the serving dish in the oven to warm.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into small chunks. Bring a pan of water to the boil and simmer the potatoes until just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Season the chicken breasts.
- Divide the butter and oil between the two pans.
- Place one pan over a medium heat and when the butter is foaming add the chicken breasts and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat and continue to cook the chicken until it is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain the potatoes when they are just tender and leave for a couple of minutes to dry out while you place the other pan over a medium heat. Once the butter is foaming add the potatoes with the garlic and turn to coat. Continue to cook until the potatoes are golden and crisp, turning occasionally.
- When the chicken is ready, transfer it to a warm serving dish and keep warm in the oven. Add the potatoes and garlic once they are ready.
- Pour the chicken stock and wine into the pan the chicken was cooked in and let it bubble over a high heat until reduced by half. Stir occasionally and scrape all the crispy bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour over the chicken, potatoes and garlic and serve garnished with the parsley.
Updated: June 4, 2017