This recipe is a quick and tasty twist to a regular cottage pie. The beef is cooked with chopped onions and red peppers in a tomato base, seasoned with Italian herbs. This is then topped with a creamy, cheesy, mashed potato and then browned under the grill/broiler.
Italian Cottage Pie
- Preparation time: 35 minutes
- Cooking time: 35–40 minutes
- 675 g (1½ lb) potatoes (4–5 medium)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 450 g (1 lb) minced/ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tin/can condensed tomato soup, Campbell’s
- 180 ml (6 fl oz) milk (¾ cup)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 55 g (2 oz) butter (¼ cup, or ½ stick)
- 140 g (5 oz) cheese, grated (1¼ cup) shredded
- A Chinese cabbage really goes well with this dish or any other green vegetable.
- You will also need a 1.2 litre (2 pint) (5 cup) flame-proof dish.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into even-sized pieces. Place in a pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Add a little salt and then simmer for 20 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan/skillet. Add the beef and brown over a medium heat, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and put to one side.
- Now reduce the heat and add the onion and pepper to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes to soften.
- Next return the beef to the pan and stir in the soup, milk, and Italian seasoning. Then gently simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the beef mixture is simmering, warm the flame-proof dish and preheat the grill/broiler.
- Once the potatoes are tender, drain and add the butter and cheese. Mash until the potatoes are smooth and creamy.
- Now spoon the beef into the flame-proof dish and top with the mashed potato.
- Grill/broil until the potatoes are golden on top.