A buttery puff pastry makes this luxury fish pie a delicious alternative to a traditional potato topping. The salmon and prawns/shrimp are in a creamy sauce with sweetcorn and mushrooms.
Luxury Fish Pie
- Preparation time: 45 minutes
- Standing time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 480 ml (16 fl oz) milk (2 cups)
- 450 g (1 lb) salmon, skinned
- 170 g (6 oz) tiger prawns/shrimp
- 170 g (6 oz) frozen sweetcorn (or canned) (1 cup)
- 55 g (2 oz) butter (¼ cup, or ½ stick)
- 55 g (2 oz) flour (½ cup less 1 tbsp)
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) white wine (⅔ cup)
- 115 g (4 oz) button mushrooms, halved (about 6)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 225 g (8 oz) packet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten (for glaze)
- You will also need a pie dish.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) (gas 6)
- Pour the milk into a large pan.
- Cut the salmon into cubes and add with the prawns/shrimp to the pan.
- Bring the milk to the boil and then remove from the heat. Cover the pan and leave for 5 minutes to cook the fish.
- Now drain the fish, reserving the liquor, and place in the base of the pie dish with the sweetcorn.
- Next, melt the butter in a clean pan. Add the flour and mix to form a paste. Cook over a low heat for 1 minute.
- Then gradually stir in the reserved liquor and keep stirring until the sauce is smooth. Increase the heat and stir the sauce until it is really thick, about 2 minutes.
- Now stir in the wine and add the mushrooms. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Season to taste and add the dill.
- Pour the sauce over the fish and give everything a good stir so the sauce coats the fish and vegetables. Leave to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile trim the pastry to fit the top of the pie dish.
- Dampen the rim of the dish with water and use the trimmings to cover the rim of the dish.
- Now dampen the rim of pastry with water. Cover the pie dish with the large piece of pastry pressing down around the rim of the dish to seal the pastry. Knock back the edges.
- Make 2 holes in the top to allow steam to escape during cooking.
- Brush the top of the pastry with egg glaze.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in the centre of the oven for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden.
- Serve with green beans or carrots.
Updated: November 10, 2019