There is just so much flavour in this chicken dish which is served with fettuccine.
Peppers are cooked first to bring out their flavour and sweetness, then added with the chicken to a garlic and basil tomato sauce with courgette/zucchini slices and onions.
- Preparation time: 35 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 1 red pepper, quartered and deseeded
- 1 yellow pepper, quartered and deseeded
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into half-moons shapes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 courgette/zucchini, halved lengthways then cut into 1cm (½ inch) slices
- 2 × 400g/28 fl oz cans chopped/diced tomatoes
- 20g fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 tsp light muscovado/soft light brown sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To serve
- You will also need a large sauté pan with lid.
- Preheat the grill/broiler for 10 minutes with the rack set closest to the heat.
- Place the peppers on a baking tray/sheet, skin side up, and then grill/broil until the skins have blackened and blistered, 5–10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and, using tongs, place in a plastic food storage bag. Seal the bag and leave to become cool. (The steam that is released while in the bag helps to lift the skin away from the flesh.)
- Meanwhile, season the chicken. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan. Add the chicken and, over a medium heat, brown on both sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the other tablespoon of oil to the pan, add the onions and gently cook until softened and coloured around the edges, 10 minutes.
- Next, add the garlic and courgette/zucchini slices, cover the pan and cook for a further 4–5 minutes, until they have started to soften.
- While the vegetables are cooking, peel off the skins of the peppers and cut the flesh into thin strips.
- Finally, add the tomatoes, half the basil, sugar, and peppers to the pan and season. Bring the sauce to a simmer, then return the chicken breasts to the pan, pushing them down into the pan. Cover the pan and continue to simmer for 20 minutes, turning the chicken halfway through.
- Serve with fettuccine and the remaining basil leaves scattered on top.
Updated: October 18, 2019