This easy beef casserole is made from chunks of steak, braised slowly with carrots, onions and potatoes in a tomato-based beef stock. Once prepared and in the oven there is nothing more to do!
One-Dish Beef Casserole
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: about 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 2½ hours
- 700g (1½ lb) stewing steak
- 28g (1 oz) flour (3 tbsp)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 450g (1 lb) carrots, sliced (6 medium)
- 700g (1½ lb) potatoes, peeled and sliced (4½ medium)
- ground nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 x 400g tin whole tomatoes (½ x 28 fl oz can)
- good beef stock
- 225g (8 oz) peas (optional) (1½ cups)
- You will need a lidded casserole dish for this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) (gas 3)
- Place the flour in a medium plastic food storage bag and add salt and pepper. Shake the bag to mix. Cut the steak into 2.5cm (1 inch) cubes and add to the bag. Shake again so the flour coats the steak. Remove the steak from the bag but reserve any remaining flour.
- Layer steak, onions, carrots and potatoes in the casserole dish, sprinkling each layer with a pinch of nutmeg and some seasoning as you go.
- Sprinkle the remaining flour from the bag over the meat and vegetables and then add the tomatoes.
- Finally pour over enough stock to come just over halfway up the ingredients.
- Cover and cook for 2½ hours.
- Peas can be added 15 minutes before the end of cooking.
Updated: March 14, 2018