This easy beef casserole is made from chunks of steak, braised slowly with carrots, onions and potatoes in a tomato-based beef stock. Once prepared and in the oven there is nothing more to do!
One-Dish Beef Casserole
- Preparation time: about 35 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 hours 45 minutes
- 700 g (1½ lb) stewing steak
- 28 g (1 oz) flour (3 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 450 g (1 lb) carrots, sliced (6 medium)
- 700 g (1½ lb) potatoes, peeled and sliced (4½ medium)
- ground nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 x 400g tin whole tomatoes (½ x 28 fl oz can)
- good beef stock
- 225 g (8 oz) peas (optional) (1½ cups)
- You will also need a lidded casserole dish and a frying pan/skillet for this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) (gas 3)
- Place the flour in a medium-sized plastic food storage bag and add salt and pepper. Shake the bag to mix. Cut the steak into 2.5cm (1 inch) cubes and add to the bag. Shake again so the flour coats the steak. Remove the steak from the bag but reserve any remaining flour.
- Heat the oil in the pan/skillet over a medium heat and, when just beginning to smoke, add the steak. Toss the steak so it will sear on all sides. This will need to be done in a few batches as you don’t want to overcrowd the pan or the cubes of steak will steam rather than sear. Put to one side.
- Now reduce the heat in the pan/skillet and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. When it is hot add the onions and carrots and gently cook for 5 minutes.
- Now layer steak, onions, carrots, and potatoes in the casserole dish, sprinkling each layer with a pinch of nutmeg and some seasoning as you go.
- Sprinkle the remaining flour from the bag over the meat and vegetables and then add the tomatoes.
- Finally pour over enough hotstock to come just over halfway up the ingredients.
- Cover and cook for 2½ hours.
- Peas can be added 15 minutes before the end of cooking.
Updated: March 9, 2020