This easy beef casserole is made from chunks of steak, braised slowly with carrots, onions and potatoes in a tomato-based beef stock. Once prepared and in the oven there is nothing more to do!
One-Dish Beef Casserole
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: About 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 2½ hours
- 700 (1½ lb) stewing steak
- 45ml (3 tbsp) flour
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 450g (1 lb) carrots, sliced (6 medium)
- 700g (1½ lb) potatoes, peeled and sliced (4½ medium)
- ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 × 400g can, or ½ × 28 fl oz can whole tomatoes
- beef stock
- 225g (8 oz) peas (optional) (1½ cups)
- lidded casserole dish
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) (gas 3)
- Place the flour in a plastic food storage bag and add salt and pepper. Shake the bag to mix. Cut the steak into 2.5cm (1 inch) cubes and add to the bag. Shake again so the flour coats the steak.
- Layer the steak, onions, carrots and potatoes in the casserole dish, sprinkling each layer with a pinch of nutmeg and some seasoning as you go. Sprinkle any remaining flour in the casserole and add the tomatoes. Pour enough stock to come just over halfway up the ingredients. Gently stir the stock into the ingredients.
- Cover and cook for 2½ hours.
- Peas can be added 15 minutes before the end of cooking.
Updated: March 14, 2017