For that added special touch, this lovely creamy herb sauce of parsley, chives and tarragon covers these simply cooked poached salmon fillets.
Poached Salmon with a Herb Sauce
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1 lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- a few peppercorns
- 1 tbsp tarragon vinegar
- 3 eggs, large (U.K.)/extra large (N.A.), yolks only
- 170g (6 oz) butter, cut into small cubes (¾ cup, or ½ stick)
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- To serve
- baby potatoes and green beans
- You will also need a large shallow frying pan/skillet with lid
- This is one dish where everything needs to be prepared before starting to cook.
- First, have four plates warming in the oven.
- Now, cut four slices from the lemon and then juice the remainder.
- Lay the salmon fillets side by side in the shallow pan/skillet.
- Add the lemon slices, bay leaf, and peppercorns.
- Cover the salmon with cold water and add the lid.
- Now bring the water to a boil and then remove the pan/skillet from the heat and leave for 5 minutes to finish cooking the salmon. Then, using a fish slice, lift the salmon from the pan/skillet and transfer to the warmed plates in the oven.
- Meanwhile, add the lemon juice to a small pan along with the vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and then let it bubble rapidly over a medium heat until it has reduced by half. It will reduce very quickly so you need to watch it. Immediately pour into a small bowl and leave to cool a little. (You need to pour it from the pan immediately to prevent the heat from the pan reducing the mixture further.)
- Next bring a little water to a gentle simmer in another pan.
- Whisk together the egg yolks in a bowl that will fit over the pan of simmering water and add the cooled vinegar and lemon juice.
- Place the bowl over the pan and add the butter, one cube at a time, whisking until it has melted. Continue whisking until all the butter has been added and the sauce has thickened.
- Once the sauce has thickened, remove the bowl immediately from the heat and stir in the herbs. Season.
- Pour the sauce over each fillet and serve with the vegetables.
Updated: July 10, 2019