Tasty pork, baked on a bed of tomatoes and onions, and topped with a crispy, cheesy crumble. This is a quick dish to prepare. Just serve with seasonal vegetables.
Pork and Cheese Crumble
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour
- 4 pork chops OR
- 450g (1 lb) pork fillet/tenderloin
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 x 400g tins or 1 x 28 fl oz can whole tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 55g (2 oz) cheese, grated (½ cup)
- 4 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- You will also need an ovenproof dish with lid.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) (gas 4)
- Remove any bone and excess fat from chops. If using fillet/tenderloin, cut into four equal pieces by dividing into two, then slicing each piece in half horizontally to give four thinner pieces.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan/skillet over a medium heat, add the pork, and sauté for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, spread the onions over the bottom of the ovenproof dish. Cover with the tomatoes, season, and sprinkle over the sugar. Place the pork on top of the tomatoes.
- Toss the breadcrumbs and cheese together, then sprinkle over the meat.
- Cover and bake in the centre of the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to bake for a further 15 minutes to brown the top.
- Serve with seasonal vegetables.
Updated: April 4, 2018