My favourite fish was there at the fish counter – Wild Pacific Salmon. The best salmon there is.
We only have a chance to buy it fresh for such a short time, so I make the most of it while I can. This recipe is very quick and adding orange gives it a lovely tangy flavour.
A delicious salmon dish that is just right for summer.
Salmon fillets are briefly marinated in an orange sauce and then grilled/broiled. They are served with buttery baby potatoes and a vinaigrette dressed salad.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Marinading time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 12–15 minutes
- 6 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 large orange)
- 3 tbsp vinaigrette salad dressing
- 1 tbsp runny honey/clear honey
- 680g/1 lb 8 oz salmon fillet, skinned and sliced into four pieces
- 1 orange
- 680g/1 lb 8 oz baby potatoes, scrubbed
- knob of butter
- a green salad of your choice
- a shallow, heatproof dish that will take the salmon in a single layer.
- Spoon the orange juice into a small bowl. Add the salad dressing and honey and whisk well to combine. Pour into the dish.
- Add the salmon to the dish and coat well with the marinade. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the grill/broiler to low.
- Bring a little water to the boil in the base of a steamer and then steam the potatoes for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cut the second orange into 8 thin slices and lay 1 slice on each piece of salmon. Make a single cut from the edge to the centre in the remaining 4 slices and set to one side.
- Place the salmon under the grill for 15 minutes until it is cooked through. (Don’t have the dish too close to the heat.) The juice from the orange slices will seep into the salmon.
- Prepare the salad, drizzle with more of the vinaigrette dressing and toss.
- Drain the potatoes, add a good knob of butter to the pan and stir to coat.
- Transfer the salmon pieces to 4 plates, discarding the orange pieces, and spooning over any juices remaining in the pan. Top each piece with the reserved orange slices twisting them at the cut edge.
- Serve with the buttered baby potatoes and salad.