This was the first recipe I ever cooked where I made a marinade for steaks. I have updated the ingredients for the marinade and this really does make a delicious sauce to go with the steak.
Steak Marinated in a Tomato and Herb Sauce
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Marinading time: overnight
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 4 x 170g (6 oz) steaks
- 225ml (8 fl oz) passata (1 cup)
- 60ml (2 fl oz) cider vinegar (¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1½ tsp fresh, oregano leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Trim any excess fat from the steaks and put in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Stir the rest of the ingredients in a bowl until well blended. Pour over the steaks. Turn the steaks over so they are covered with the marinade. Cover the dish and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain the steaks and reserve the marinade. They can be BBQ’d or cooked in a little oil and butter in a frying pan/skillet.
- Once they are cooked, transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm. Rest for 5 minutes for the juices to be absorbed back into the steak.
- Meanwhile, pour the reserved marinade in a small pan, stir and bring to the boil. (If the steaks were cooked in a frying pan/skillet, use this.) Reduce the heat to low and cook for a further minute. A little water can be added if the sauce reduces too much.
- To serve, pour the sauce over the steaks and accompany with baked potatoes and seasonal vegetables.
Updated: October 24, 2017