Sole fillets are a delicate fish and here they are cooked with a cream cheese, parsley and lemon stuffing, which adds to the flavour of the fish without overpowering it. Cooks in just 20 minutes for a delicious meal.
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes (oven)
- 8 sole fillets, about 140g (5 oz each)
- 55g (2 oz) cream cheese, softened (¼ cup)
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs (1 slice bread with crusts)
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1½ lemons
- freshly milled black pepper
- You will also need an ovenproof dish large enough to take 4 fillets in a single layer, lightly greased.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) (gas 6)
- Zest half a lemon and set aside.
- Tip the breadcrumbs into a large frying pan/skillet and, over a medium heat, toast them until quite crispy, 2–3 minutes. Shake the pan often to turn the crumbs.
- Now tip the breadcrumbs into a large bowl and add the cream cheese, 2 tablespoons of the chopped parsley, black pepper, and the juice of the whole lemon. Mix to combine.
- Place four of the fillets in the ovenproof dish in a single layer. Spread the filling over the four fillets and then top with the four remaining fillets.
- Squeeze the juice of the half lemon over the fish.Then sprinkle a little paprika and the lemon zest on top.
- Bake, uncovered, in the oven for 20 minutes, until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Garnish with the remaining parsley.
- Serve with asparagus when in season. It is delicious with this dish as it complements the delicacy of the sole. Serve with whole green beans at other times.
- This dish can also be microwaved, covered, on high for 8 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes before serving.
Updated January 30, 2020