Slices of steak are marinated in a teriyaki sauce and then sautéed with mushrooms and tomatoes. Serving on a bed of flavoured brown rice for a very tasty dish.
- Preparation time: 40 minutes
- Marinading time: 1–2 hours
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 575 g (1 lb 4 oz) sirloin or rump steak, fat removed
- 4 tbsp medium-dry sherry
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp caster sugar/superfine sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 225 g (8 oz) button mushrooms, sliced (3 cups)
- 1 tsp cornflour/cornstarch
- For the rice
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 200 g (7 oz) brown rice (1 cup)
- 450 ml (15 fl oz) chicken stock (2 cups)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- To garnish
- 2 medium tomatoes
- Pour the sherry and soy sauce into a large bowl. Add the sugar and stir until it has dissolved.
- Cut the steak into 1.25 cm (½ inch) slices and add to the bowl. Turn the steak to coat, then cover the bowl, refrigerate and leave to marinade for at least an hour.
- Remove the bowl from the fridge just before preparing the rice to enable steak to come to room temperature.
- For the rice
- Put the onion, rice, stock, and cumin seeds into a large pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 35–40 minutes until the stock has been absorbed by the rice.
- Then, when it is cooked, leave to rest for 10 minutes while cooking the steak and vegetables.
- For the steak
- First, cut the tomatoes in half and then each half into thirds.
- Drain the meat, reserving the marinade.
- Blend the cornflour/cornstarch into the marinade and set to one side.
- Now heat the oil in a large frying pan/skillet over a medium heat. Add the steak and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes, turning frequently. Remove from the pan/skillet and keep warm.
- Add the mushrooms and tomatoes to the pan/skillet and stir-fry for a further minute.
- Add the reserved marinade. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook for 1 minute.
- Return the steak to the pan/skillet and turn to coat with the sauce.
- To serve
- Divide the rice amongst four plates, spooning it into the shape of a ring. Now spoon the steak and vegetables into the centre, and then spoon over any remaining sauce in the pan/skillet.
- Serve immediately garnished with a little parsley.
Updated: February 2, 2019