Looking for a quick and easy supper from cupboard staples? Then here’s a tasty Tuna and Egg Pasta dish. Penne and a couple of cans of tuna are folded into a cheese sauce and topped with egg and crunchy buttered breadcrumbs.
Tuna and Egg Pasta
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: about 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes (oven)
- 170g (6 oz) penne (2¼ cups)
- ½ onion, finely sliced
- 85g (3 oz) butter (⅜ cup, or ¾ stick)
- 55g (2 oz) flour (⅓ cup + 1 tbsp)
- 500ml (20 fl oz) milk (2½ cups)
- 2 x 160g tins (170g cans) chunk light tuna in oil, drained
- 3 eggs, hard boiled
- salt and pepper
- 115g (4 oz) mature/old Cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 55g (2 oz) breadcrumbs (1 cup)
- 1.14 litre (2 pint) (6 cup capacity) ovenproof dish
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F) (gas 6)
- Cook penne and onion together in a pan of boiling salted water for as long as directed on the packet of pasta. Drain and set aside.
- Melt 55g (2 oz) (¼ cup, or ½ stick) of the butter in a pan, stir in the flour until smooth and cook over a low heat for 1 minute.
- While leaving the roux to cook, warm the milk. (The easiest way is to microwave on high power for one minute.) Then gradually blend into the roux, stirring constantly, until the sauce is smooth. Bring to the boil, stirring, until thickened.
- Next add the cheese and seasoning, and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Stir through the penne and onion, then gently mix in the tuna, breaking up any large clumps. Spoon into the ovenproof dish.
- Next, shell the eggs and cut into quarters. Arrange over the top of the pasta and gently press down.
- Finally, melt the remaining butter in a pan and fry the breadcrumbs until crisp. Scatter over the pasta.
- Bake in the oven for 20–30 minutes until bubbling around the edges and browning on the top.
- Serve with a green salad.
Updated: October 29, 2017