A heartwarming British dish that is quick and easy to prepare.
Classic Cauliflower Cheese
- Preparation time: 35 minutes
- Cooking time: about 15 minutes
- 1 cauliflower
- 55 g (2 oz) butter (¼ cup, or ½ stick)
- 55 g (2 oz) flour (½ cup less 1 tbsp)
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 240 ml (8 fl oz) milk (1 cup)
- 2 bay leaves
- freshly milled black pepper
- 28 g (1 oz) Parmesan, finely grated/shredded (⅓ cup)
- 140 g (5 oz) Cheddar cheese, finely grated/shredded (1¼ cups)
- 3 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- First break the cauliflower into large florets.
- Then cook in boiling salted water for 6 minutes. Drain well, reserving the liquid, and transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- Preheat the grill/broiler.
- Next melt the butter in a small pan.
- Stir in the flour and mustard and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and gradually blend in the milk with 90 ml (3 fl oz) (⅓ cup) of the reserved cooking liquid.
- Return to the heat and stir until the sauce has thickened.
- Now add the bay leaves and gently cook for a further 4–5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and remove the bay leaves.
- Then beat in the Parmesan and 115 g (4 oz) (1 cup) of the Cheddar.
- Add the pepper.
- Now pour over the cauliflower florets.
- Mix together the remaining Cheddar, breadcrumbs, and chives. Sprinkle over the top.
- Place under the grill for about 5 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and beginning to turn brown.