This is a lovely smooth, thick vegetable soup. It’s quick to make and great for a winter’s day accompanied with soda bread.
Country Vegetable Soup
Prepares: 6 servings
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 55g (2 oz) butter (¼ cup, or ½ stick)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 large potato, chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes (½ × 796ml can diced tomatoes)
- 600ml (20 fl oz) good beef stock (2½ cups)
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- salt and pepper
- To serve
- Chopped chives or celery leaves to garnish
- Melt the butter in a large pan, add the vegetables and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock, tomato purée, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, cool slightly, then purée in a blender.
- Pour into a clean saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Check seasoning and serve garnished with chives or celery leaves.
Updated: May 7, 2017