This vegetable soup is full of goodness, blending cauliflower, carrots, celery, and onions. Perfect for a cold winter’s day. Just serve with some crusty bread and a slice of your favourite cheese.
Farmhouse Vegetable Soup
Prepares: 6–8 servings
- Preparation time : 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 2 large onions
- 1 small cauliflower
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 sticks celery
- 40g (1½ oz) butter (3 tbsp)
- 1.2 litres (40 fl oz) good chicken stock (5 cups)
- 120ml (4 fl oz) natural yogurt (½ cup)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Serve with some crusty bread and a slice of favourite cheese.
- Peel and finely chop the carrots and onions, chop the celery sticks and break the cauliflower into small florets.
- Now melt the butter in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, add the vegetables and stir to coat with the butter. Cook the vegetables over a medium–low heat, stirring occasionally, until they start to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain the vegetables, reserving the liquid. Then purée and return to a clean saucepan. Add the reserved cooking liquid and then stir in the yogurt. Reheat gently but do not let it boil.
Updated: March 26, 2019