A very decadent chocolate dessert to serve with a special dinner. This velvety brandy enriched chocolate slice is filled with cherries, walnuts, and crushed biscuits.
Chocolate Brandy Slices
Prepares: 6 slices
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Chilling time: 1–2 hours
- 10 digestive biscuits
- 115g (4 oz) good quality, plain/dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 115g (4 oz) butter, cubed (½ cup, or 1 stick)
- 1 egg
- 85g (1½ oz) caster sugar/superfine sugar (3 tbsp)
- 40g (1½ oz) glacé cherries (¼ cup)
- 40g (1½ oz) walnut halves (⅓ cup)
- 2 tbsp brandy
- You will also need a rectangular mould about 22 x 11cm (8½ x 4¼ inches), a small loaf tin/pan is ideal.
- Line the mould with a piece of cling film/wrap, long enough so it extends over the edges.
- Now put the digestive biscuits in a plastic food bag and crush coarsely with a rolling pin. Set aside.
- Next rinse the cherries and leave to dry.
- Then break the chocolate into small pieces and put in a pan along with the butter. Melt over a very low heat, stirring frequently. When the mixture is smooth, remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and sugar together until light and creamy. Beat this into the melted chocolate and butter until the mixture is smooth.
- Halve the cherries and reserve 6 halves.
- Now reserve 6 walnut halves and chop the remainder.
- Fold the cherries, chopped walnuts, crushed biscuits, and brandy into the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon this into the prepared mould and decorate the top with the reserved cherries and walnut halves.
- Refrigerate for 1–2 hours to become firm and then remove 30 minutes before serving to allow to come up to room temperature.
- To serve, remove from the mould by using the edges of the cling wrap/film to help lift it out. Then cut into 6 slices.