Crème de cassis lifts this ice cream dessert from being just ordinary. A raspberry and cassis purée is used to ripple the ice cream and warmed to pour over as a sauce.
Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream for Grown-ups
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: About 15 minutes
- Refrigeration time: 2 hours
- 12 large scoops soft-scoop vanilla ice cream
- For the sauce
- 300g (10 oz) frozen raspberries, thawed (1¼ cups)
- 28g (1 oz) caster sugar/superfine sugar (2 tbsp)
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp crème de cassis
- You will also need a freezer-proof container that will take the ice cream and 4 glass dishes.
- First remove the ice cream from the freezer to soften up a little.
- Now to prepare the sauce, purée the raspberries, caster sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and crème de cassis. Then sieve the purée to remove the raspberry seeds. Put half the sauce to one side for later.
- Then spoon 6 generous scoops of ice cream over the base of a freezer container and drizzle over half the remaining sauce. Now spoon 6 further scoops and make a second layer. Drizzle over the rest of the sauce.
- Make a few strokes through the ice cream with a knife. This will allow the sauce to run through and make a marbled effect. Cover and freeze for 2 hours.
- To serve
- Warm the reserved sauce.
- Scoop the ice cream into the glass dishes and pour over the warm sauce. Serve immediately.
Updated: December 9, 2018