- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time 45–50 minutes
- 170 g (6 oz) plain/all-purpose flour (1⅓ cups)
- 55 g (2 oz) caster/superfine sugar (¼ cup + ½ tbsp)
- 115 g (4 oz) butter, softened (½ cup, or 1 stick)
- 55 g (2 oz) currants (½ cup)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F) (gas 3).
- Beat the butter and sugar together until the mixture is light and creamy.
- Then mix in the flour and currants until a dough if formed.
- Knead lightly.
- On a large, greased, baking sheet, roll or press the dough into a round measuring 20 cm (8 inches).
- Prick all over with a fork and then mark into 12 equal wedges.
- Lightly crimp round the edge.
- Now bake above the centre of the oven for 45–50 minutes until firm to the touch and golden.
- Remove from the oven and cut into the wedges while still warm.
- Leave to cool on the baking sheet.